Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Minnie's Fitness Day at Deibert Park
So...I thought I would take Minnie for a nice walk at Deibert Park a couple of years ago in the heat of the summer. The nice walk around the first time was so nice. Minnie was enjoying herself so I decided to run the next lap to kick up the exercise a notch for myself and Minnie was overweight at the time so I thought it would be good for her too! Short legs, low belly, fur coat, and a hot summer day obviously don't mix with exercise. Things were going great, I was keeping a good pace and Minnie appeared as if she was loving every minute of it. Of course, she was on her leash so I wasn't worried about her running off.......Long about 1/4 of a mile through, I was jerked backwards by the leash when Minnie decided to put on the breaks and lay flat on her belly, all four paws spread out and in everyone's way but refusing to budge. She had had enough and she was not going anywhere anytime soon. Shame on me for not knowing that a small dachsund, short in stature and overweight couldn't keep up with her mommy's 2 mile trek on one of the hottest days of the year. After about 20 minutes of trying to get her to budge, she finally decided to stand up and try to go again. Boy was I wrong, I had released the leash from around her neck to give her some freedom while she cooled off and where did she go? She made a b-line for one of the ponds. Muddy as could be and soaking wet, she had found a place to cool off. You know the rest of the story.........no towel in site, mud caked on every paw, and a wag in her tail once again, I had no choice but to carry her back to the car myself (22 lbs. of furry, wet, muddy, stinky dog up the hill). I got her home quickly to her water bowl and cool floor where she had longed to be the whole time! Needless to say, that was Minnie's first and last time at Deibert Park or atleast her first and last workout session at Deibert.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Three blogs already! I'm impressed! Reading about Minnie makes me miss Maggie. Keep it up!
I'm glad you are blogging again! You are a great writer and so much fun to read. Poor Minnie. She was pooped.
Can't wait to read more.
Post a Comment